Tuesday 21 February 2017

The Woolly Mammoth

If you have seen the news recently then no doubt you've seen headlines that scientists are on the verge of bringing back the woolly mammoth from extinction.
In actual fact it would be closer to an elephant with mammoth traits but that doesn't sound as newsworthy.
I'm not sure what I feel about the project, there are other candidates for de-extinction which I'd be more interested in seeing but it does make interesting reading.

Even though the majority of the mammoth population died off around 10,000 years ago they do seem to fascinate people in way that more recent extinction don't. I have to admit that when I was a child I was scared of them, even though I knew they were extinct.
On to the postcard then, it's from 1978 from a set celebrating the work of the Siberian branch of the Soviet Academy of Sciences. This particular section being in the Siberian city of Yakutsk which now houses a Mammoth Museum.

I'm not sure which particular specimen this is, but looking at photos of the museum on line, it still seems to be there.




Trivia

At least two preserved mammoths were discovered by children, the Sopkarga mammoth, found in 2012 by an 11 year old boy and the Jarkov Mammoth in 1997 discovered by a 9 year old.

When the first mammoth skeleton was reassembled the tusks were put on the wrong sides.

The last woolly mammoths were to be found on Wrangel Island in the Arctic Circle surviving there until about 2000 BC.

No comments:

Post a Comment